Thursday 30 November 2017

Blog thirty-one: a sweep through the Southwest

The view from the ranch in Taos.

I'm sat in my AirBnB in Pico-Union, Los Angeles. I've never been anywhere that reminds me more of the stretch of Radford Road outside Asda. It's strange to be in one of the world's most famous cities and all you can compare it to is your own little home corner of Nottingham. Lots has happened, both in terms of the time span since the last blog's content and my sitting on the beach in San Diego writing it, including my first proper Thanksgiving with my friend Kelly and her family, but I need to rewind a bit, back to New Mexico and catch you all up on the things I've done up to the Thanksgiving break around children's literacy and working with some awesome non-profits: Albuquerque ReadsRead on Arizona in Phoenix and Travelling Stories in San Diego. To start where we last left off, I'm in Taos after having spent the day with Eva at the DH Lawrence Ranch...

Taos, I admit, I loved. It had a style which I admired and brushed anything off with a shrug. It had its expensive tourist traps, but nowhere near as many as Santa Fe which I would visit the next day. After checking into my AirBnB I walked the mile back into town and headed for the historic plaza. It was 11th November (which I feel very guilty about only writing up on the 27th!) and there had been a Veterans’ Day parade. I saw the organisers taking down the small stage and the wreathes laid at the foot of the small memorial. I was reminded of trips to pay my respects at sites like Menin, Thiepval, Tyne Cot and the horrific death camp at Auschwitz earlier this year. To quote Franklin Roosevelt: “I hate war”. From here I watched the sun set over the adobe roofs and continued to wander until I chanced upon Brodsky Books, which has become my favourite bookstore of the trip. A quirky little space, it had a DH Lawrence section including one title “Lawrence: Oedipus in Nottingham”! I chatted with the owner and met his cat, Simone de Beauvoir de Taos, before buying a book on young FDR and heading to find some food – at the Taos Ale House. I may have had a few beers and servings of chilli cheese fries…

The next morning, I got the bus to Santa Fe – a rickety, no suspension ride through the bumpy roads of mountainous New Mexico. As we rode along, trying not to throw my coffee all over myself, I marvelled at the landscape of this incredible state. As we traversed through a canyon, in one of the rare moments I had any signal at all, I checked Google Maps for where we were to discover that the river we were driving beside was the Rio Grande, snaking its way through the rocks. This was probably the most special of the accidental iconic things I’ve done on the trip.

Meow Wolf's amazing walk-in fridge.


Santa Fe was somewhere I’d had on my list of places to visit for a while, since becoming interested in the later work of Georgia O’Keeffe when assisting on the development of a play about her. The O’Keeffe museum was my first stop where I arrived, after a breakfast of Heuvos Rancheros, of course. The collection of the museum is quite small with much of O’Keeffe’s most famous work elsewhere and often in private collections, but it was a good overview of the style of an artist who has come to define this part of the county with her landscapes and skulls – I’ve never been much of a fan of the flowers of her earlier New York work, though this was the first time I’ve seen some of her urban landscapes which I enjoyed. I wandered through town toward the old religious centre of Santa Fe – the plaza with its basilica, the Loretto chapel and the mission. The basilica reminded me of the Pugin cathedral we have at home in Nottingham with the Romanesque Revival interior, although with a distinct Latin feel as well. The Loretto was striking too with its incredible free-standing wooden spiral staircase, whilst the mission is the oldest church still standing in the United States. This was quite a corner for US heritage. After this I went for the entirely different, Meow Wolf, an art installation and experiential story-telling puzzle world in a converted bowling alley. From the seemingly ordinary confines of a suburban house I had to investigate the death of a young boy who may have been transported to another dimension. The set up was very cool – especially the part where I got to walk inside a fridge to another world beyond!

At my lodgings in Santa Fe, where I stayed with a British author and sculptor, Christopher, I met yet another Brit – who I never actually got introduced to and it got to the point where it was too rude to ask his name!! He offered me a lift back to Albuquerque and we talked in his hire care about his work as a school teacher in Acton. When I got to my motel – it had gotten to the stage in the trip where it definitely had to be laundry day as I was running out of pants.

Me and Pat from Albuquerque Reads at Bel-Air Elementary


The next day, I met Pat and Marianne from Albuquerque Reads outside Bel-Air Elementary on the north side of the city, not far from my motel and the Walmart I keep on doing all my shopping in. AR is a slightly different organisation to many that I’ve worked with on the trip as their funding model and organisation structure is rooted in the city’s Chamber of Commerce and is staffed, financed and administrated through this collective of local businesses. The session I would be working on is one of the long-standing Kindergarten reading programs and, as ever, I offered to jump in the deep end and read with some of the children. First up with the lively Tiago who once we settled down to reading took in loads and could tell me, in great detail, what had happened in the Little Red Hen book we were reading. Aaliyah, my second student, was less fidgety but enjoyed the reading less too. She came to life however when we got on to the letters and colouring exercise – a creative writer for the future, no doubt!

My day with AR was my last in New Mexico, a State which had a real impact on me. I’m not sure whether knowing the Lawrence connection and reading up on his experiences here had influenced this, especially reading extracts from Mornings in Mexico when I was I Taos. I’ve waffled a lot about NM and really hope I’ll be back, but it was time for me to head to Phoenix for a brief visit and to meet Read On Arizona.

Mine and Terri's speccy selfie at Read On Arizona.


Phoenix was sketchy. The motel I was staying in was rough, smelt funny and had everything – light switches, plugs etc. – in odd places. Sirens where an almost constant. But it was cheap and the best burrito I’d had up to that point was from the 24 Taco Stand less than 5-minutes’ walk away -  a walk I only did in day light. I met Read On at their funky offices across town. Terri, RO’s Executive Director, talked me through their work and the large-scale partnership of organisations that they try to coordinate and resource with best practice. Through this work, over the last 4 years there has been a 4% increase in children reading at grade level by 3rd grade in the areas whether the program is running, although this has been a 1% rise in year 3 and a 3% rise in year 4, highlighting the importance of this being a long-term project, not a one-year flash in the pan. Terri also had a background in the film industry and had met her now husband on Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves! This was a very special handing over of a Robin Hood hat! The resource pack Terri shared with me I think will be able to support my work immeasurably when I get back and she’s offered to link me up with the academics she’s had check the workings and develop the model too. From the meeting with Terri I headed into Phoenix to check out their arts district – the aptly named Roosevelt Row and had a wander around in the heat of the desert city. With the area around my iffy motel not especially well lit, I didn’t stay out long and headed back, via the taco truck.

I was only in Phoenix for a day and the next morning it was back to the Greyhound Station (I have my final Greyhound tonight and that is a welcome statement!) to head to San Diego. I was hit with one of Greyhound’s ‘amazing’ quirks of the fact it only guarantees to get you to your destination, not on a set bus, and I was told that the bus I booked, via Yuma and Calexico, was full and I’d have to go via LA – meaning I wouldn’t get to the Mexican border and adding 4 hours to my trip! I wasn’t best pleased.

Me with Sarah, Hezhi and Chase at the National City Travelling Stories Story Tent


I arrived in San Diego late and jumped straight in an Uber to meet my host, Haroun, who had been a scholar back in 1977 and now lived in San Diego. He’d generously offered to put me up for my time in SD. I’ll get onto Haroun much more in my next post, which will focus on my time with him and up in Modesto for Thanksgiving, but after a quick supper, I headed to bed as I was working in the morning. The next day, Haroun (my ever-giving host) gave me a lift to National City where I’d be meeting Travelling Stories for their story tent session! In a gazebo in the San Diego sun, there was an oasis of books and volunteer reading tutors. The premise for Travelling Stories’ program is that children will either read books with the volunteers or telling the volunteers about the books they have read this week as a mini-report and receive, in return for their reading, “book bucks”. They could then exchange their book bucks for small gifts at the Travelling Stories commissary (a large crate full of cool gifts). I read with two children – Nourah, who didn’t like reading very much, or so she told me, and Anthony. Nourah, after some coaxing, read a book of nursery rhymes with me – although some I think she knew already and could sing them rather than read them properly. I then read her a book about a monkey that didn’t want to go to bed! Anthony was keener and picked out lots of non-fiction on history and biology, but needed quite a bit of help on his ambitious choices. Anthony even drew a picture of me and him reading a book on sharks in the tent, although heartbreakingly he wanted to take it home with him, so I had to make do with a photo.

I didn’t have much else booked in for San Diego literacy-wise except for a quick visit to their public library’s children’s area, which had a Godzilla exhibition and I read the chapter on FDR and Eleanor in their copy of the Champions of the Four Freedoms there. From SD I knew there would be some downtime – heading into Thanksgiving week – and then a more frantic final week in LA and San Francisco, where I’d be meeting with my final organisations including two 826 chapters and the national office too (I’m currently in the midst of this!) so, when I have a morsel of time, I’ll catch you all up on this too. Thanks for reading!