Tuesday 19 September 2017

Blog twenty: Stock Take – Where Am I in this Mad Journey?

Me working with pupils from Crabtree Farm recently. Image courtesy of Pete Hancock.

With only a few weeks to go until I jet-off to the US, I’m excitedly putting stuff into place with loads of amazing organisations in the places I’ll be visiting. From the Super Hero Supply Store to a  nexus of colourful, chaotic portals art installation of non-linear storytelling (yes – that’s a thing!), from big national charities to volunteer-led almost ‘mom and pop’ community start-ups, from readers, writers, story-tellers, producers, teachers and children – and anyone in-between – I’ve been a blur of emails and google searches whilst I try to plot out what will be a genuinely life changing experience which could also dramatically help many young people in Nottingham too by increased opportunity and provision of literacy support.

This, to me, sometimes sounds a bit pompous however I do feel that there’s some massive potential in this – as daunting as it often seems. This “dauntingness” is what I’m looking at today.

Sometimes it’s useful to take stock of where you are with this mad whirlwind of a combined: setting stuff up to visit when on your scholarship in the States, developing links with new people and organisations here in Nottingham and promoting what you’re doing as widely as possible – alongside trying to fundraise and earn enough to make sure you can survive the trip (and when you get back) financially.

However, I’ve managed to speak to a massive range of future possible partners that can catalyse and accelerate what I hope to do. Nottingham UNESCO City of Literature, Literacy Volunteers, Nottingham City Libraries, Bromley House Library, Writing East Midlands and my awesome colleagues in Nottingham Playhouse’s Participation department, in the city's Education Improvement Partnerships and at College Street are such a fantastic support and have been spurs to action/wise sounding-boards. So too have been many individuals within Nottingham City Council and the local politicians of the city. This has been awesome to know that there’s what feels like a really willing literacy community that want to deliver on shared literacy goals.

Equally, I’m feeling much more secure in myself being able to pull the whole thing off through a combination of support from family and friends (most notably Cáit, as always) and from getting myself caught up in the scholarship, the planning and in all the other work I’m doing. I refuse to wear what Cáit and I have come to term a “busy badge” (where freelancers boast their worth based on the amount of work they have) but I will admit my currently level of activity and work/Roosevelt tasks is much higher than in some other periods when people haven’t been offering me as much work. I like being engaged in doing stuff and have an awesome schools’ literacy project on the go currently with Nottingham City Council and Wild In Art, plus Playground Festival happening at Nottingham Playhouse! This, I feel, is a great gearing up to my American adventure – I just need to make sure I’m not tired out by the time I arrive!