Tuesday 27 June 2017

Blog nine: a bit on Notts

Nottingham's Old Market Square. Image courtesy of Nottingham City Council.

I struggled to get started on this one - I didn't know what to write about or what could be an interesting idea/topic that could entice people into clicking and thinking about what I'd written. Would I do another blog about children and how literature and the arts act as a catalyst for, in my opinion, a fuller and fitter life? or, discuss the poetry of DH Lawrence, all bats and snakes? I could try and write many, many worthy blogs but I keep thinking that I've not really written enough about Nottingham - the place I'm supposed to be an "ambassador" for. So here goes...

Nottingham is where I've lived for all but 4 years of my life. It's a strange, oddly overlapping place that never seems to fully fit in a national picture. When I spend time in Sheffield or Derby, I'm stuck with some level of affinity between the cities - they have a shared feel, a heavier industry soul with their steel and locomotives heritage. Nottingham? We made bicycles and hosiery.

It's a place that defies definition - like Sillitoe says: "Whatever people say I am, that's what I'm not." It also reminds me of this from Douglas Adams: “There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.” Nottingham is Adam's "bizarre and inexplicable" universe and Sillitoe's reinventing revolutionary, not that that's Arthur Seaton. More like Feargus O'Connor, the Chartist firebrand elected MP for Nottingham in 1840s, or our famous outlaw who overshadows everything associated with the city. And, yes, he is from Nottingham - none of this "he's from Yorkshire" rammel.

Yet, I'm struggling to write my letter to Nottingham here. And after much procrastinating, I've gone for the highest form of modern journalism to try (and fail) to sum up Nottingham: the listicle self-interview. Plus, I've borrowed Animator Troy Browne's Nottingifs from Leftlion! Here's my take on Modern Notts...

What's your default burger at Annie's Burger Shack?
Annie’s Burger Shack is a Anglo-American institution here in Notts – New Englander Annie started the shack in 2009 and makes the best burgers in the city. I’m a fan of The Hawaiian – a beef burger topped with two smoked grilled gammon pieces and fresh grilled pineapple ring, covered with melted swiss cheese – plus, I like to add a fried egg in there.

What’s your favourite Nottingham Forest memory?
This is a tough one – I wrote a whole play about how my relationship with the club has been a life long obsession and how I’ve been a Forest fan for longer than I’ve been registered as alive! Perhaps there’s another blog in this, but best NFFC moment: New Years Day 2008 - Lewis McGugan's 92nd minute match-winning free kick against Huddersfield. Glorious.

Tell us about Goose Fair?
With more than 720 years of history, Nottingham Goose Fair is one of Europe's most famous travelling fairs, but really is all about having mushy peas with mint sauce in a polystyrene cup and going on the Crazy Mouse rollercoaster.

As someone from Nottingham, do you have anything from Paul Smith?
I have a Paul Smith tie, which my mum bought me for my graduation – you can’t represent Nottingham at summat important without summat from Paul Smith on! And I’ve been to the stripey cinema in Broadway too. Plus, he’s a patron of the scholarship – if I’m meeting more important people in the States, maybe he’ll crash me a new on?

What’s your favourite thing about Nottingham’s favourite outlaw, Robin Hood?
An article I read recently, actually, about a chap called Jim Lees who tried to prove Robin was from Bilborough! Every visitor I’ve had come and stay has had the obligatory selfie with the statue by the castle. That and Kevin Costner. WHAT A FILM.

And Nottingham legendary venue Rock City?
I’m a product of that proud Nottingham establishment! My parents met at Rock City at a Blues Band gig in 1981, shoes probably sticking to the floor even then when it was less than a year old.

Have you been to Batman’s gaff – Nottingham’s Wollaton Hall?
According to my mum, I took my first steps at Wollaton Hall and, as I said in a previous blog, walking up the lime lined avenue to Wollaton Hall for a walk round the lake is part of my perfect Nottingham day! We went there last year in rutting season for the deer and it was amazing!